Huawei official asks US to ease restrictions

A top executive for Huawei’s U.S. branch on Thursday defended the Chinese company against allegations that it poses a national security risk, saying it wants to work with the U.S. to address those concerns.

Andy Purdy, the chief security officer for Huawei USA, told The Hill in an interview that U.S. officials have not indicated a willingness to engage in conversations with the company to discuss cyber concerns.

“At this point, they’re not even willing to talk with us about the recognized mechanisms recognized by the U.S. government to address cybersecurity risk,” Purdy told The Hill.

He said he would like the U.S. to implement procedures that would effectively weigh the risks of using Huawei technology, instead of imposing harsh restrictions.

“The more we get to have the kind of requirements that are necessary to address the risks from all vendors,” Purdy, a former Department of Homeland Security (DHS) cyber official, said. “Once that happens, there’s going to be a greater chance that Huawei can participate.”

DHS did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Huawei is suing the U.S. government over a provision in last year’s National Defense Authorization Act that blocks federal agencies and contractors from using the company’s equipment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *