Sustainability and business results align in “Innovating for Impact,” ArcelorMittal’s 2018 United States Integrated Report
“Innovation and sustainability are at the core of ArcelorMittal’s business strategy. Just as our products are the material of choice for more sustainable lifestyles, we continue to make progress toward elevating the sustainability of our operations,” said John Brett, president and chief executive officer, ArcelorMittal USA. “Our work in sustainability is made possible through innovation, which drives us to continually improve the experiences of our employees, strengthen our operational processes and revolutionize our products. Our 2018 United States Integrated Report demonstrates how we innovate for impact.”
Highlights of the 2018 United States Integrated Report include:
• Achieved our best-on-record lost time injury (LTI) frequency rate of .66, which includes full-time employees and contractors at ArcelorMittal USA LLC facilities, Monessen and AM/NS Calvert – a 31 percent improvement over 2017
• Produced 14.9 million tons of raw steel and invested $348 million for the ArcelorMittal USA business unit and $44 million for joint venture AM/NS Calvert to enhance production capabilities and improve efficiency
• Contributed $10.7 billion in total economic impact, including more than $2.3 billion in employee wages and benefits alone at ArcelorMittal USA LLC facilities and AM/NS Calvert. This does not include expenses related to active and inactive pension and retiree health care.
• Implemented 30 energy projects with enough energy savings to power 11,600 homes for a year
• Spent $285 million with Diversity Enterprises in the United States – a 9 percent increase over 2017
• Contributed $6.9 million in total community investment in the U.S., including cash grants and company matching gifts – more than 40 percent in support of education, particularly science, technology, engineering and math (STEM)
In support of the company’s efforts to minimize its impact on the environment, the 2018 integrated report is available online to all stakeholders within the sustainability section of usa.arcelormittal.com. The report can be viewed completely online or downloaded in its entirety as a PDF.