Gunman who robbed Manila casino sets self alight
An unknown number of masked gunmen have assaulted a popular casino in Manila, and local reports suggest that it might be an attempt at a terrorist attack by ISIS. The Philippines’ military is fighting terrorists in Mindinao that have aligned themselves with the so-called caliphate, but this may be the first major action in the capital itself. There are reports of both gunshots and explosions, and some of those fleeing have been seen covered in soot:
A popular casino and hotel complex outside of the Philippine capital of Manila was placed on lockdown early Friday local time, after reports of gunfire and smoke coming from inside.
Local media outlet ABS-CBN News and social media users captured panicked people fleeing Resorts World Manila in Pasay. One man’s face was seen covered in soot.
A lone gunman who caused panic and fears of a terror attack at a popular Manila casino committed suicide by setting himself on fire in one of the hotel guest rooms, Philippines police said Friday.The incident unfolded in the early hours of Friday morning when the armed suspect forced his way into the Resorts World Manila casino, shot at gambling machines and set tables on fire.Dozens of people were injured as panicked guests rushed to get out the building, according to Resorts Chief Operating Officer Stephen Reilly.The gunman didn’t appear to be firing at people, said Philippines National Police Chief Ronald Dela Rosa, which suggested the incident wasn’t terror-related.“It’s too early to tell, but so far as we are concerned there was no ISIS,” Dela Rosa said.“If this is ISIS, all the people gambling inside should have been shot or already been bombed. He didn’t hurt anyone. Those who were injured got their injuries when they jumped from the windows,” he added.