|EL MONTE, CA — On Friday, the L.A. County Registrar of Voters counted the last 1,000 ballots and certified the results. Democrat Mike Eng expanded his vote margin to 15,915 votes, finishing with a commanding 45.32% over Susan Rubio’s 26.36% — a nearly 19% margin. Third-place finisher Monica Garcia — who has already endorsed Mike — finished strong at 20.73%, less than 6% behind Rubio despite more than $1.2 million in independent expenditures spent on Rubio’s behalf.
More highlights from the final results:
• Mike topped Susan in AD 49, and in AD 48, represented by her sister.
• Mike topped Susan in all three overlapping Congressional Districts, including those represented by Grace Napolitano, Judy Chu and Linda Sanchez.
• Mike topped Susan in 13 of the 15 cities in the district. Rubio finished ahead in her home city of Baldwin Park, but Mayor Manual Lozano, Mayor Pro-Tem Ricardo Pacheco, and primary opponent and councilwoman Monica Garcia, who form the majority on Rubio’s city council have all endorsed Mike.
• Mike topped Susan in precinct voting by nearly 13%.
• Mike topped Susan in VBM voting more than 27%.
Mike Eng finished with a dominating lead despite being outspent significantly by Rubio and the independent expenditures made on her behalf, which totaled nearly $1.8 million combined. On top of that, the independent expenditures conducted by Rubio supporters to suppress Monica Garcia’s vote totaled $78,000+.
As Mike Eng enters the general election campaign, he brings with him several new significant endorsers who were not highlighted during the primary — including Garcia and Lozano, mentioned above, as well as L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti, who has the highest favorables of any elected leader in L.A. County. Mike also starts the post primary run with well over $750,000 cash on hand as of the end of June.