State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts
More than 10 Million COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Administered in California
SACRAMENTO – Today, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) released the most recent statistics on COVID-19 and updates to the state’s COVID-19 response.
As of today, the state has administered more than 10 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine, less than three months after the first shot was administered in the state. With access to three highly effective vaccines, the state remains focused on equitable distribution to those individuals and communities most at risk of serious outcomes from COVID-19. More information on the state’s vaccine program can be found here.
Additionally, CDPH announced updates to the state’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy reopening framework focused on activities that can be conducted outdoors with consistent masking, two factors that are scientifically shown to reduce the risk of COVID-19 spread. The updates allow outdoor ballparks, stadiums and theme parks to open with significantly reduced capacity, mandatory masking and other public health precautions. These changes take effect April 1.
Statewide COVID-19 Data as of Today
- California has 3,493,126 confirmed cases to date. Numbers may not represent true day-over-day change as reporting of test results can be delayed.
- There were 4,659 newly recorded confirmed cases Thursday.
- The 7-day positivity rate is 2.1% and the 14-day positivity rate is 2.4%.
- There have been 49,294,503 tests conducted in California. This represents an increase of 146,818 during the prior 24-hour reporting period.
- As case numbers continue to rise in California, the total number of individuals who will have serious outcomes will also increase. There have been 53,448 COVID-19 deaths since the start of the pandemic.
- As of March 5, providers have reported administering a total of 10,003,942 vaccine doses statewide. The CDC reports that 13,069,780 doses have been delivered to entities within the state, and 13,376,865 vaccine doses, which includes the first and second dose, have been shipped. Numbers do not represent true day-to-day change as reporting may be delayed.
*Today’s count of administered doses includes 135,736 doses that were not previously processed. These doses were reported between Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.
Multiple variants of the virus that causes COVID-19 have been identified globally during the COVID-19 pandemic. These genetic mutations are expected, and some emerge and then disappear, while others persist or become common. Most variants do not have a meaningful impact. Public health becomes concerned about a variant when it affects COVID-19 transmission, severity, testing, treatment or vaccine effectiveness. Get more information on the variants CDPH is currently monitoring.
Blueprint for a Safer Economy
With the Regional Stay at Home Order rescinded statewide as of January 25, all counties are now under the rules and framework of the Blueprint for a Safer Economy and color-coded tiers that indicate which activities and businesses are open based on local case rates and test positivity.
Blueprint Summary (as of March 2)
- 40 counties in the Purple (widespread) Tier
- 16 counties in the Red (substantial) Tier
- 2 counties in Orange (moderate) Tier
Blueprint tiers are updated weekly on Tuesdays. Find the status of activities in specific counties.