State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts
SACRAMENTO – Today, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) released the most recent statistics on COVID-19 and updates on the state’s pandemic response.
Statewide COVID-19 Data as of Today
- California has 3,622,427 confirmed cases to date. Numbers may not represent true day-over-day change as reporting of test results can be delayed.
- There were 2,126 newly recorded confirmed cases Tuesday.
- The 7-day positivity rate is 1.5%.
- There have been 58,202,413 tests conducted in California. This represents an increase of 126,493 during the prior 24-hour reporting period.
- There have been 59,890 COVID-19 deaths since the start of the pandemic.
- As of April 21, providers have reported administering a total of 26,454,819 vaccine doses statewide. The CDC reports that 33,390,900 doses have been delivered to entities within the state. Numbers do not represent true day-to-day change as reporting may be delayed. For more vaccination data, visit the COVID-19 Vaccine Data Dashboard.
Updated Activity & Business Tiers Chart
The Addendum to Blueprint Activity & Business Tiers Chart has been updated to shorten the distance between fully vaccinated-only sections and any other section in a venue to at least 6 feet (previously 12 feet). The chart also aligns with current guidance to allow outdoor food and drink concessions if physical distancing is maintained at all times. Indoor concessions must be closed unless otherwise permitted in Orange and Yellow Tiers.
Increased Transparency and Updated School Reopening Maps
The school reopening maps on the Safe Schools Hub have been updated with self-reported data from school districts, charter schools, and private schools throughout the state. Schools are required to submit this data on the second and fourth Monday of each month. This is the first update with data pursuant to AB 86 and includes:
- School-Level Data. Reopening status can be searched for and viewed not only on a district-wide basis, but also a school-by-school basis.
- Enrollment Data. The maps display data not only on the instructional modes offered, but also on the number of students enrolled in different instructional modes: full time in-person, hybrid, and distance learning.
Note: The self-reported data may include some gaps in data and errors. The maps will be routinely updated to reflect new data, and the state will continue to improve data quality and visualizations.
Vaccine Eligibility Update
As of April 15, individuals aged 16+ are eligible to make an appointment to be vaccinated. To sign up for a notification when you’re eligible for a vaccine, please visit myturn.ca.gov. For more information on the vaccine effort, visit Vaccinate All 58.
Multiple variants of the virus that causes COVID-19 have been identified globally during the COVID-19 pandemic. These genetic mutations are expected, and some emerge and then disappear, while others persist or become common. Most variants do not have a meaningful impact. Public health becomes concerned about a variant when it affects COVID-19 transmission, severity, testing, treatment or vaccine effectiveness. Get more information on the variants CDPH is currently monitoring.
Blueprint for a Safer Economy
All counties are under the rules and framework of the Blueprint for a Safer Economy and color-coded tiers that indicate which activities and businesses are open based on local case rates and test positivity. As always, local public health departments may implement policies that are more restrictive than the state.
Blueprint Summary (as of April 20)
- 0 counties in the Purple (widespread) Tier
- 17 counties in the Red (substantial) Tier
- 38 counties in Orange (moderate) Tier
- 3 counties in Yellow (minimal) Tier
Blueprint tiers are updated weekly on Tuesdays. Find the status of activities in specific counties.