State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts
SACRAMENTO – Today, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) released the most recent statistics on COVID-19 and updates on the state’s pandemic response. The most up to date data is available on the state’s COVID-19 data dashboard.
Updated Testing Requirements for Visitors to Health Care Facilities
Beginning Saturday, September 17, visitors to health care facilities, such as skilled nursing facilities and general acute care hospitals, will no longer be required to be tested or show proof of vaccination in order to visit loved ones. Visitors must continue to comply with CDPH Masking Guidance while visiting loved ones indoors in these settings.
Facilities should continue to maintain all current infection prevention practices to protect the vulnerable populations in health care facilities. In addition, they should continue to offer testing for visitors per recommendations from CDPH and/or the local public health department and have the ability to ramp up testing if it is required again at a future date.
In August, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in updated testing guidance, indicated screening testing is no longer recommended in general community settings. Therefore, CDPH has also updated COVID-19 testing guidance.
Statewide COVID-19 Data
Rates of cases, hospitalizations and deaths are highest among unvaccinated individuals and lowest among boosted individuals. This is true for all age groups. See additional data for unvaccinated and vaccinated cases, hospitalizations, and deaths.
- 79,750,545 total vaccines administered.
- 80.3% of the population has been vaccinated with at least one dose.
- 46,732 people a day are receiving COVID-19 vaccination (average daily dose count over 7 days).
- California has 10,354,899 confirmed cases to date.
- Today’s average case count is 4,854 (average daily case count over 7 days).
- During July 2022, unvaccinated people were 2.6 times more likely to get COVID-19 than people who were vaccinated with at least a primary series.
- The testing positivity rate is 6.2% (average rate over 7 days).
- There are 2,580 hospitalizations statewide.
- There are 316 ICU patients statewide.
- During July 2022, unvaccinated people were 3.0 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 than people who were vaccinated with at least a primary series.
- There have been 94,747 COVID-19 deaths since the start of the pandemic.
- COVID-19 claims the lives of 28 Californians each day (average daily death count over 7 days).
- During July 2022, unvaccinated people were 3.6 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than people who were vaccinated with at least a primary series.
Upcoming Website Maintenance
CDPH will be performing scheduled server maintenance on Saturday, September 17 from approximately 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. During this time, all CDPH webpages will be unavailable.